Last night I got back out there. After cooking up a storm in the kitchen, and getting our house organized, my running buddy and I….and *shocker* my husband set out for a small, light 3km. In the past I would never EVER have set out with such a small goal in mind, but I needed something to get me back in the game and feeling good; without defeating me.
IT FELT GREAT!! We set out around dusk, the air was chilly, and our slow 3 km was full of conversation. It felt so great to be out there again. My legs quickly fell back into their familiar rhythm and my mind into the euphoria running gives me. The weather was perfect. Chilly enough for a light run jacket, but warm enough that I was sweating a kilometer in.
We came back to the apartment to enjoy a slice of pumpkin loaf (freshly baked…of course) and a few minutes of conversation and laughter. Steph went home and Graeme and I enjoyed a late dinner of yam fries and BLT’s before watching ‘The Five Year Engagement’. The movie was hilarious! We fell asleep quickly after.
I was abruptly awoken by terrible hip cramps around 3am which continued consecutively every hour until 8am. Awesome. Thankfully this girl works nights today and I was able to go back to bed for a while.
Enjoying this chilly fall day with a big ol’ cup of Pike with homemade organic pumpkin spice creamer mixed in. YUM. Relaxing to the sound of my favorite movie of all time: Marley & Me. Maybe some home-yoga to come before I head out to another ER night shift.
Enjoy your day, I know I am enjoying mine! Happy pumpkin season!=)
Pumpkin Pound Loaf
Recipe lightly adapted from myrecipes.com
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice (epicure)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk + 1 tsp white vinegar (or buttermilk)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare the cake, lightly coat 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Place granulated sugar, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup coconut oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time,beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla. Lightly spoon 3 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and 3/4 cup milk/vinegar mixutre alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Spoon batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack.